If you work in PR or journalism, “Christmas in July” may be an annual event in your calendar. These are either organised by large companies, such as John Lewis, Argos and Selfridges, or PR agencies with a large client base. Mash holds an event every year and client director, Jennie Halliday, explains why our Christmas in July always gets a fantastic turnout from the media, often leading to timely, high-quality coverage for our clients. Keeping it simple is the answer…
What is Christmas in July?
The monthly glossy magazines work with a three-to-five month editorial lead-time - so they start to plan Christmas gift guides in July and August. Christmas in July was created to ensure brands get their Christmas ranges in front of the press at the optimum time.
Mash holds an event annually and we invite our retained clients, brands we work with on a project basis and companies that run their PR in-house to attend.
Last year we had more than 100 press attend throughout the day from key titles, including Sunday Times Style, The Telegraph, Fabulous, You, Country Homes and Interiors, Cosmopolitan, Healthy, Your Health and Daily Express.
How it works
Many companies go all out at these events with fake trees, fake snow and Santa giving out samples. However, it often falls on the hottest day of the year and no one wants to dress in a Santa suit when it is 30 degrees!
So, we’re going to celebrate Christmas like they do on the other side of the world. Our Managing Partner Grant Campbell-Carran is from New Zealand and he always talks about Christmas day barbecuing on the beach, so we hope to do the same. We will be providing Pimm’s and BBQ food throughout the day! The event will also be held on our office’s fantastic garden terrace in central London.
The terrace will be set up like a mini exhibition (but much more relaxed) and will run from 9am-5pm.
Instead of goodie bags, we give everyone a Christmas wish list, which they fill in as the walk around the show. We can then arrange all samples after the event.
Here’s why you should attend if you’re media or a brand:
Benefits to press
· See a wide range of brands, from different sectors in one place, on one day
· Planning a gift guide for men, women, kids and pets? We have brands in all sectors and at different price points to give you a wide breadth of ideas
· Get content for your gift guides through an extensive press kit
· Enjoy a Pimm’s as you walk around meeting interesting brands
Benefits to brands
· Meet up to 100 journalists all on a single day
· Return on investment: For a one-off fee your brand will feature in multiple gift guides and may well be covered by key media
· Mash will do all follow-up and monitor your coverage
· Your brand will feature in a press kit that is sent to thousands of media outlets
Our Christmas event this year is on 27 July at 91 Wimpole Street, in the heart of London, and we have brands confirmed from the fields of parenting, food and drink, home and garden, beauty and grooming, technology and pets.
If you are a member of the press and would like to RSVP please contact Teresa@mashpr.co.uk. If you are a brand that would like to take part or would like more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.