As an agency, we pride ourselves with delivering big agency service on a personal level. So, it’s time to get to know your team a little better. This week we cast the spotlight on our Managing Partner, Stu Campbell-Carran.
1. What is your favourite media publication and why?
The Sunday Times, because it fills the space of Sunday and is always full of life inspiration. It is fantastically curated and makes me spend money! Not many newspapers do that.
2. What is the app you can’t live without?
Spotify, because I am a huge muso - although I am hopeless at remembering song names or artists. I got a Sonos system for my 40th birthday from a client (I know! How generous was that?) and I use it everyday.
3. What made you want to work in the communications industry?
Nothing. I fell into PR by accident and I have loved it from day one. I stayed in PR because I got a huge thrill from seeing my first piece of coverage in a daily newspaper. It was a euphoric moment. I still love seeing our clients in the media nearly 20 years on.
4. Name three things that make a good PR Consultant?
Honesty. Organisation. Tenacity.
People who lie fail.
People who are disorganised fail.
People who do not go the extra mile fail.
5. What surprised you most about PR?
How many fantastic friends I would make along the way. Some of my best friends now have previously been work colleagues. PR truly is a fantastic industry in which to make life-long connections.
6. What do you enjoy most about working at Mash?
Two fold. The wide mix and variety of clients we have on our roster. Equally alongside the superb team of consultants I have built.
7. Three top tips for a productive day.
Get up early.
Write a plan.
8. What do people think you do when you tell them you work in PR?
My mum still thinks that I work 'in computers'.
My brother thinks I 'play around on Facebook'.
My bestie thinks 'PR is hot air' (she's an old school advertising woman)
So I have given up explaining!
9. You are what you eat: what is your go-to lunch and what does it say about you?
Pret's 'Crayfish and Rocket' sandwich pack = I am not 'beige' or boring, but I know when I need to eat quickly and get instant gratification!
10. If you were Prime Minister, what would you change?
Everything! I really would.
11. Your thoughts on achieving a healthy work-life balance?
Work is the thing that funds our downtime - so if you want to have better free time/ holidays / houses / shoes / cars etc. - then work harder. We all make our own destiny and 99% is not 100%. Put more in and you will get more back. Easy.
12. How many hours of sleep do you get at night?
Somewhere between five and seven. Plus snoozes on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
13. Do you have a go-to work outfit?
No. I dress for comfort and that is obviously seasonally biased. I love getting suited and dressing smart. But equally you'll find me in shorts and t-shirts. I find it very rewarding getting onto a commuter train and being the only one in shorts and flip-flops, jeans and hoodie - looking at city boys in suits and thinking: I own my own business and can wear what I want.
14. Three random things about you?
I have Cherokee ancestors.
My grandfather was (sadly) in the first Barnardos home for children.
I can sing several traditional Christmas carols in Latin.